Saturday 28 January 2012

Day 1~We meet the Queen Bee

Day 1~

A quick description of the area. Old, decrepit, broken down sidewalks.  I'll post pics at some point, either here or on FB or if I am really bored maybe on both.
There is such a gap in income here, it really is unbelievable. There are some very nice rides around here (Audi's, BMW's etc.) and then there are the "one leggers". I seriously saw a guy with one leg, hopping and pushing a big cart of veggies or goods to sell on the corner. All I could think was that guy must really be strong.

Anyway, we went to the clinic, just wanting to check things out. My first appointment was supposed to be Sat. morning, but we went there and they got us started right away. They shuffled us into a waiting room, had me write my name and email down and told us to wait. There were tons of people around, but from what I gather only Dr. Patel's patients get put in this separate waiting room. We sat there, sock footed and all. You take your shoes off before going in, at least most people do, not everyone though. I haven't figured out who does and who doesn't or exactly why, but we just do. I imagine it is for sanitary purposes because the streets are so filthy, but maybe it's some religious deal. The nurses eventually got me into a room to do they typical stuff (blood pressure, weight etc.)

As I sat in this back room/office/ultrasound room, there were tons of people (nurses?secretaries?not sure what they all were??). There was definitely something going on in a room that I could see down the hall. I think someone was maybe having a baby. I got a glimpse of one of those big lights that are in operating rooms and there were lots of nurses bringing in wash cloths.

Then out of that room walked Dr. Patel. It was like seeing a princess or something. She is really pretty and dresses traditionally even when working. Her Saree style of dress is elegant and looks like it is probably made out of silk and chiffon. She was very pleasant and kind, but also very busy. She seems to always be doing 20 things at once. We exchanged hello's, she said let's do an ultrasound and blood work and if all looks good, you can come back this evening for injections. I did the ultrasound, had one cyst on an ovary, but nothing serious.

Then we did the blood work (both Mike and I). Now that was a little sketchy, but they did use new needles, so I guess that is all that matters. What I mean by sketchy is that we were sent back to the waiting room for the blood draw guy. He came to the waiting room, barefooted and all, with his pack of needles and containers and took our blood right there with everyone hanging around. A little of my blood dripped on the counter, no big deal, just wiped it up with a cotton ball. We were told to come back at 5pm for blood test results and injections.

Back to the clinic we go. All tests were good, so I started the injections. Just 2 in the tummy. Easy peasy. I felt fine afterwards. So all is good today.

Domino's for dinner in our hotel room. The time change is really efffin up my body. Lot's of in and out sleep.

Just a little on the area......Sickly cows, goop in their eyes, starving, eating out of garbage cans. Sickly dogs that have puppies nursing on them. I actually thought a mama dog might have been dead, but Mike thought she was probably alive. Let's hope so or those puppies are outta luck. Deformed people riding on skateboard types of carts, probably hoping and praying that their good hand they use to push them along doesn't get ran over. Ok, so that's the icky stuff. There are cool looking shops and fresh fruit vendors all over. We will check that out tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment