Thursday 2 February 2012

Day 7~Half Way Home, Well Almost

Surprisingly, I'm not really that homesick, probably because I've been sleeping more on this trip it seems than I have for my entire existence. OK, so I know that is an exaggeration, but I really have slept good through the nights and I never do that at home, so that's a plus.

Anywhoooo, today was a regular injection day, tomorrow will be a check up. It will be this way from here on out, an every other kind of day deal, unless we decide to venture out somewhere on an overnight trip, then Dr. Patel can delay the check up and I would do my own injections. Actually Mike would because I don't do needles. We are thinking about doing an overnighter to Udaipur, the city of lakes. We met a woman in the dress shop today who was passing through and stopped to visit Dr. Patel. She had twin girls 3 years ago with the help of Dr. Patel. She told us to get out of this ugly city (her words, not mine) for a night and go to Udaipur because it is beautiful and romantic. She said it is really worth treating yourself to see some of the areas in India that are beautiful. So we might just do that. We are going to talk to Hitesch some more about it. We have a day trip planned with Jen and her husband to Ahmedabad sometime next week, so we'll just have to see what comes of it.

I totally feel like Jen has taken us under her wing. She knew Mike had been sick and offered pretty much anything that they could do. Her husband is a surgeon (which he tries to downplay all the time, if I were a surgeon, you'd know it, c'mon all that studying, I'd make sure everyone knew I was a doctor) so obviously he has a medical background and she told us to call if we needed anything at all. So sweet.

In the afternoon when Mike was feeling a bit better, we decided to go to the ATM, ooooh, big trip out of the hotel room. Well the trip to the ATM was cut short by Mike's urgency to use the bathroom IMMEDIATELY. He ran back to the room, so we were stuck there for a bit. Finally, he thought he could make a trip out, so we headed to the ATM and then to the dress shop, Calison. I figured I should bring one dress back, so we went to Calison on Hitesch's recommendation. I picked out a really pretty white/silver/aqua dress and will go back for it in 2 days. No, I'm not gonna start wearing Indian garb, this is more of a dressy dress that I could actually wear for a special occasion or something.

After our big trip out, it was back to the room for lunch and then to the C9 gym with Hitesch. We've kind of just attached ourselves to him. He's cool with it and invites us, so we take him up on the offers or maybe he didn't realized that when he offered, we actually would take him up on it. Anyway, he really does seem ok with it.

Just a few random things that I may or may not have already written, but I don't want to forget.

The weather~Absolutely Awesome!! It is their winter and it is perfect. 80 and no humidity. We are here during the best time of the year, hence all those obnoxious weddings. Have I mentioned that I loathe weddings?? What started off as something really spectacular to see has come to be something that I truly don't give a rat's ass about! Oh and it is really funny to see these guys wearing earmuffs and big sweaters because it's cold out. Too funny.

Food~The cheapest I have seen anywhere. We eat lunch at the hotel for about $1.20 and it really could feed 3. Our expensive dinner at the Hungry Jungle was $13 and that was with 2 drinks, 2 entrees, an appetiser and plenty of sides.

People~Really nice. Almost all of the locals smile, even though they do stare out of curiosity. Other people we have met that are here for the same thing are great too. We have met people from the all over the US, the UK, Nigeria and who knows where else. Dr. Patel's clinic brings people from all walks of life. Everyday that we go to the clinic, we commune to this small room and share experiences, stories, and whatnot. It is something that I will never forget.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're going to take the opportunity to see more of the country. Next time you're there, you'll be too busy taking care of your new baby - so enjoy it while you can!

    Sounds like Mike needs some bananas, rice, apples, and toast!

    ReplyDelete